On behalf of our client, a long-established law firm with offices across Devon we are seeking to recruit an experienced Residential Conveyancing Solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive with a minimum of 5 Years PQE.
For the role you will be assisting fee-earners with their property caseload throughout all stages of the transaction from initial instruction through to completion. You should be able to manage your own caseload under minimal supervision and have excellent communication, networking and client facing skills. You will also maintain relations with existing clients and assist in developing new relationships and referral sources.
Core duties and responsibilities include, but not limited to:
- Research information and communicate with clients and others in person, and by other means e.g. email.
- Use a computerised case management system, as conveyancing tasks are increasingly being completed online.
- Take instructions from clients.
- Seek to protect clients’ interests at all times, while taking precautions against potential fraud and money laundering.
- Send terms of engagement and estimates of fees and disbursements.
- Obtain or check Land Registry documents or title deeds (if the land is unregistered).
- Draft and/or check sales/purchase contracts (title checking) and agree terms with the conveyancer acting for the other party to the transaction.
- Collate and send or check supporting legal and financial documents.
- Deal with all financial aspects of a transaction.
- Exchange contracts and complete the transaction.
- If the property is leasehold, obtain the landlord’s agreement to the sale or the change of mortgage and deal with apportionments of rent and service charges as well as being able to calculate apportionments upon completion.
- Development and updating of legal knowledge in the chosen area(s) of law in accordance with SRA Continuing Professional Development requirements by personal attendance at training courses, webinars, self-study, and perusal of reference material.
- Reporting to your Head of Department with any concerns and/or queries.
- Compliance with the SRA Code of Conduct and SRA Accounts Rules.
Specific tasks for purchase transactions include:
- Raising enquiries based on draft contract documentation received (freeholds, leaseholds, new builds, shared ownerships, help to buys (whilst applicable).
- checking and completing Help to Buy/Lifetime ISA forms and applying for the Help to Buy/Lifetime ISA bonus when required.
- Carrying out and checking pre-contract searches by checking whether the property is affected by local authority proposals, leases, easements or covenants, mortgages, land tax, susceptibility to flooding or subsidence, or liability for unsound building structures and repairs.
- Receive and check mortgage instructions from lenders and undertake specific tasks required, ensuring all mortgage conditions/requirements are complied with.
- Prepare transfer and mortgage deeds.
- Receive mortgage funds.
- Pay stamp taxes (SDLT) and deal with the registration of client and lender with the Land Registry.
- Assist with registering the property.
Please get in touch if you would like more information about this role or send your CV via the form below in complete confidence and we will get back to you.
Legal Southwest will never, without exception, send out your CV without your prior knowledge or consent so please be assured that we treat every application with the utmost confidentiality.