Our Client is an independent law firm with recognised expertise in specialist market sectors. They have an extensive client base, many of whom are high profile, and they cover a broad range of industry sectors within the UK and internationally. They have eight offices across the West Country, one in London and the Middle East. Their lawyers are trusted and respected experts who provide outstanding pragmatic legal advice.
They are a forward-thinking firm. Their high investment in IT systems and ongoing staff training provides continuing excellence in their service. The superlative client care and legal practice management have been recognised by the Law Society through its Lexcel accreditation.
This firm deliver on their promises and, after more than 200 years of providing legal advice, they are still continuing to grow.
Owing to the continuing volume of high-quality work, we are currently looking for a bright, organised, motivated and experienced Paralegal to join the Litigation Department for this professional law firm based in Exeter.
The successful candidate will be required to provide an important contribution to the work of the Litigation Department supporting the on-going growth and development of the department’s activities and contributing to the growth of client work and fee income.
You will need to work effectively with clients and other members of both the litigation department and the Exeter office. You will be expected to deal professionally and efficiently with a wide range of work under supervision whilst complying with procedures and working practices.
The role will include the need for the successful candidate to produce the majority of their own documents and correspondence through use of the case management system and to undertake their own administrative duties.
To administer and progress (under lawyer supervision and according to experience) litigation files dealing with property disputes, contractual disputes and commercial disputes (and other surrounding activities as appropriate), which may include:
- Attending meetings as required
- Sitting behind Counsel
- Running basic files as directed by your immediate supervisor
- Preparation of letters and documents using case management software
- Liaising with clients by telephone and in person
- File opening, maintenance, and closing
- Ability to undertake own filing and administrative duties
You must be able to demonstrate the following:
- At least two years’ experience in a similar role
- Educated to degree level or extensive work-based experience
- Excellent IT skills to include the use of case management software
- A focus on developing and maintaining professional and effective client relationships at all levels, with excellent communication and relationship management skills
- A flexible approach and the capability to work well and flourish within a team environment
- Ability to work effectively with other colleagues internally, both within the wider team and across all practice areas and offices
- Ability to meet financial and non-financial targets together with other broader objectives set for successful performance of this role
- Demonstrate ability to follow procedures in accordance with professional body requirements: for example, Lexcel compliance, and firm’s internal procedures together with meeting all compliance and quality targets
- A flexible and enthusiastic approach which demonstrates commercial awareness and business aptitude in making decisions on a day to day basis
- The ability to undertake research, produce required reports and deal with complex documents
- Clear, concise and effective written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to produce work which is accurate and presented in a well-ordered manner
- Excellent organisational skills
- Forward thinking with a willingness to embrace changing working practices and pro-actively get involved in the continuous improvement of services, products and processes
- Ability to meet deadlines and prioritise effectively
This is an excellent opportunity to become an integral member of the Litigation Department and to thrive in a professional and friendly environment.
- Holidays: 23 days each year plus all the bank and public holidays. Rising to 25 days after 2 years’ service.
- Happy Birthday Benefit.
- Offices close on Christmas Eve and this day is also offered as an additional day’s leave.
- Pension scheme with Scottish Widows.
Hours: – 9am – 5pm, holidays Monday – Friday (1 hour for lunch)
Please get in touch if you would like more information about this role or send us your CV via the form below in complete confidence and we will get back to you.
Legal Southwest will never, without exception, send out your CV without your prior knowledge or consent so please be assured that we treat every application with the utmost confidentiality.