Part Time – 25 hours per week
Our client is a leading law firm and their In-House General Counsel & Risk team manage AML, Data Protection, conflicts analysis, Code of Conduct issues, complaints and claims. The team work together, to maintain and promote the highest standards of compliance, by continual improvement of the risk management and legal and regulatory compliance at the firm.
An exciting opportunity has now arisen for an experienced Commercial Contracts Lawyer to join as Legal Counsel on a 1 year fixed term contract. This role will involve working in partnership will all levels of the firm. It is a specialist role providing non-contentious advice.
What you’ll be doing:
- Providing proactive solutions to protect and promote the firms’ reputation, acting as a first point of contact for all internal queries relating to client terms (whether panel terms, bespoke contracts or outside counsel guidelines) and internal supplier contracts;
- Terms of engagement – managing bespoke client contracts, Outside Counsel Guidelines and the firm’s retainer suite of documents
- Support the analysis of client terms for the bids team, as well as, the wider firm including prioritising the important issues and making suggested changes;
- Responsible for the central record of client terms (with administrative assistance support);
- Liaising with practice teams and departments in respect of these terms;
- Other ad hoc projects as time permits such as policy writing;
- Reviewing supplier contracts for the business support teams, improving our process for, and procurement of, relevant third party services;
- Providing a wider understanding or risk and compliance to support colleagues in the team, where required;
- Representing the firm at external conferences or other stakeholder events.
What you’ll need:
Candidates for this position will be expected to have worked, or be working, as a Commercial Contracts Lawyer in practice or commerce & industry. Ideally you will understand public sector procurement but if not training will be given. A commitment to fostering best practice and understanding the world of risk and compliance will be expected. In particular for this role we require:
- Confident, approachable, hardworking, robust team player who is comfortable handling a range of commercial queries and providing advice direct to the business;
- Ability to build trusted relationships with the key stakeholders within the business at all levels;
- Excellent interpersonal, written communication and independent judgement, as you will be required to work closely with partners and senior management on matters which are sensitive and are time critical which could affect the reputation of the firm;
- Self-directed, ability to manage own work levels
- Drive and enthusiasm;
- Commercial awareness;
Experience & Qualifications
- Solid academic background
- Qualified Solicitor with substantial demonstrable commercial contracts experience from private practice, or in-house;
- Experience in regulatory compliance, ideally in an large UK law firm or professional services environment;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and guidance;
- A sound working knowledge of the SRA code of conduct, and of data protection
- The highest standard of professional ethics
- IT proficient
Please get in touch if you would like more information about this role or send your CV via the form below in complete confidence and we will get back to you.
Legal Southwest will never, without exception, send out your CV without your prior knowledge or consent so please be assured that we treat every application with the utmost confidentiality.