Legal Southwest Ltd
Our Client is a firm specialising in Personal Injury and Clinical Negligence. Their dedication to these areas of law means that over the years the practice has acquired the necessary expertise and an excellent reputation for achieving results for clients.
The firm has grown to become one of the country’s leading Claimant Personal Injury law firms, enabling them to offer clients a high level of expertise gained over many years of experience in this field. The firm has also been at the forefront of defending the public right in this area, with their leadership of the Consumer Justice Alliance.
They are currently seeking to recruit a Law Costs Draftsperson to provide a costing service to the Firm and to liaise with Fee Earners in respect of Bills of Costs, Points of Dispute and Points of Reply, negotiations and Assessment Proceedings, Statements of Costs and Costs Budgets.
- Draft Bills of Costs
- Consider Points of Dispute and draft Points of Reply
- Collate Application and supporting papers for Provisional and Detailed Assessment
- Brief Counsel for Detailed Assessment and ensure papers filed with Counsel and the Court prior to the Hearing and liaise with Counsel, as appropriate
- Deal with Assessed Bill following Provisional and/or Detailed Assessment and ensure Bill filed with Court, within relevant time scales
- Deal with any Applications and Court Orders within set timescales and liaise with the Fee Earner in respect thereof and instruct and Brief Counsel where required
- Prepare and file Applications for Default, Interim and Final Costs Certificates, where appropriate
- Prepare and issue Applications for Interim Payments, where appropriate
- Draft Statements of Costs for Directions Questionnaires (Fast Track), Infant Approval Hearings and Trial
- Draft Costs Budgets (Multi Track) and prepare Points of Reply and or Points of Dispute to Defendant’s Costs Budget, where required
- Negotiate on Statements of Costs and Bills of Costs; pre assessing where required
- Liaise with Costs Manager and Finance Director in respect of settlement, where appropriate
- To assist other members of the Costs Department when required
- Keep weekly spreadsheets updated and main spreadsheet updated to track progress of files and provide information for costs recovery statistics
- Bills drafting experience which will include, but not be limited to high value/multi track, personal injury and clinical negligence files as well as drafting points of dispute, drafting replies and negotiation
- Excellent interpersonal skills (both written and telephone)
- Strong negotiating ability
- Have proven IT skills and ability to adapt new technology
- Self-motivation to work independently and as part of a team with a ‘can do’ attitude
This firm is an equal opportunities employer with a number of benefits to staff including:-
- A company pension scheme available to all staff which this firm contributes a percentage of employees’ salary to (subject to qualifying criteria).
- A generous holiday allowance, with loyalty days for longevity of service.
- Sickness Benefit Allowance
- Child care Voucher Scheme (if applicable and optional)
- Bike to work scheme
- Death in service
- Recently introduced scheme of up to 10% of salary subject to performance. Annual appraisals are held in January and bonus nominations are decided then and if successful, this is paid in February.
Hours: 9am – 5pm – Monday – Friday
Please get in touch if you would like more information on this role or send us your CV below in complete confidence and we will get back to you.
Legal Southwest will never, without exception, send out your CV without your prior knowledge or consent so please be assured that we treat every application with the utmost confidentiality.